Sep 12, 2015

7 Recent Buys and 1 Sale

Here is a summary of my trades in early September. I closed out one position, but there isn't much drama in this transaction since I immediately bought it back; just through different exchange. I sold my Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) shares in New York Stock Exchange, and bought them back in Toronto Stock Exchange. Additionally I have added to my position in Agrium Inc (AGU.TO), Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN.TO), Rogers Communications Inc (RCI.B.TO), Gilead Sciences (GILD), The Coca-Cola Company (KO) and W.P. Carey Inc (WPC).

Sale in USD - Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)
Trade Price: 43.78
Shares: 9
Commission: 0.37
Total: 393.65

Buy in CAD -  Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO)
Trade Price: 58.58
Shares: 10
Commission: *2.03
Total: 587,83
Sector: Financial - Banking
Yield: 4,8%
Payout Ratio: 53%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 4
DGR 3-yr: 7,7%
P/E trailing 12-month: 10,4
*consists of two trades

All right, one project is now complete after these transactions. In 2014 I started to invest in Canadian companies via NYSE. However this year I wanted to change my strategy towards full Canadian diversification, meaning that I want to own my Can companies via TSE. BNS was the last stock waiting for this "transformation". EUR/CAD rate looks favorable right now, so it should be pleasant to buy CAD and add to my position in Can companies.

Buy in CAD - Agrium Inc (AGU.TO)
Trade Price: 132.48
Shares: 1
Commission: 1.00
Total: 133.48
Sector: Basic Materials - Agricultural Chemicals
Yield: 3,4%
Payout Ratio: 61%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 4
DGR 3-yr: 121,2%
P/E trailing 12-month: 20,4

My only Basic Materials stock. Recent turbulence lowered Agrium's price a little bit, but I still had to average up on this one. Anyways, very pleased that I was able to add to my position, specially when it's one of a kind stock in my portfolio. Dividend growth numbers from last years are insane. I guess it goes without saying that I don't expect that kind of growth to continue.

Buy in CAD - Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN.TO)
Trade Price: 9.40
Shares: 8
Commission: 1.02
Total: 76.22
Sector: Utilities - Diversified
Yield: 5,5%
Payout Ratio: 120%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 4
DGR 3-yr: 9,9%
P/E trailing 12-month: 28,8

Ok, this is definitely my riskiest utility investment. But I continue to like their exposure to water and renewable energy. I was able to average down a tad. Looking for small addition again in couple of months.  

Buy in CAD - Rogers Communications Inc (RCI.B.TO)
Trade Price: 43.60
Shares: 2
Commission: 1.01
Total: 88.21
Sector: Technology - Telecom Services
Yield: 4,4%
Payout Ratio: 79%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 10
DGR 3-yr: 8,8%
P/E trailing 12-month: 18,1

Telecom companies are often considered boring investments, so not surprisingly they have rather important role in my portfolio. Have owned Nordic telecom TeliaSonera for ages, and it doesn't need much attention. I just collect the dividend every spring. Hopefully my telecom investment in Canada turns out to be a boring one too.  

Buy in USD - Gilead Sciences (GILD)
Trade Price:107.39
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 215.13
Sector: Healthcare - Biotechnology
Yield: 1,6%
Payout Ratio: 14%
Dividend Increase Streak Years:0
DGR 3-yr: 0
P/E trailing 12-month: 11,5

On the other hand not every stock needs to be "boring" in my portfolio. GILD is almost too exciting for my taste, but I'm happy that I was able to pull the trigger. Now I got a chance to average down so scooped in couple more shares. There has been a lot of fuss about their recent issuance of $10 Billion debt. Many analysts and commentators are predicting a big acquisition. I just hope that the price doesn't take off, because my position is still small and I want to buy more.

Buy in USD - The Coca-Cola Company (KO)
Trade Price: 38.55
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 77.45
Sector: Consumer Goods - Beverages
Yield: 3,5%
Payout Ratio: 74%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 53
DGR 3-yr: 9,1%
P/E trailing 12-month: 22,3

Good ol' KO. I found out that I'm able to average down my cost basis, and dividend ex-date is approaching. I didn't need more arguments to make a small additional purchase.

Buy in USD - W.P. Carey Inc (WPC)
Trade Price: 57.00
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 114.35
Sector: REIT - Diversified
Yield: 6,7%
Payout Ratio: 73%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 18
DGR 3-yr: 19,2%
P/FFO : 12,8

Actually same arguments than with KO, but here the valuation and yield are on totally different level. Thought I got a good price a bit above $60, but this is even better. WPC really helps to boost my first month of a quarter dividends.

My Portfolio page has been updated to reflect these trades.

Disclosure: Long all companies mentioned.

4 comments:

  1. Great names all around. Happy to see you sticking with your BNS still. I'm still liking my BNS, TD and RY. They all seem pretty beat up these days and are sporting come pretty compelling yield and value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keith,
      Yeah, I'm sticking with BNS for sure. I like all those 3 too. I wouldn't mind owning TD too, but I think next it's time to add to my Royal Bank position.
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow..some really great names that I own and some that I want to own. Nice set of purchases, DL.

    cheers
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R2R,
      Great to be a fellow shareholder with you in BNS, AGU, AQN, if I'm right. And perhaps in future even in more!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete