Dec 12, 2015

4 Recent Buys - AGU, AQN, CSCO, WPC & 1 Sale - KMI

Here are the rest of the purchases from beginning of December. I added to my position in AGU.TO, AQN.TO, CSCO and WPC. Then I made one sell decision too, after the company declared a sizable dividend cut. I'm talking about KMI of course.


Buy in CAD - Agrium Inc (AGU.TO)
Trade Price: 131.49
Shares: 1
Commission: 1.00
Total: 132.49
Sector: Basic Materials - Agricultural Chemicals
Yield: 3,6%
Payout Ratio: 60%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 4
DGR 3-yr: 121,2%
P/E: 17,5

Buy in CAD - Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN.TO)
Trade Price: 10.25
Shares: 7
Commission: 1.02
Total: 72.77
Sector: Utilities - Diversified
Yield: 5,0%
Payout Ratio: 120%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 4
DGR 3-yr: 9,9%
P/E: 25,2

Buy in USD - Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO)
Trade Price: 27.45
Shares: 3
Commission: 0.34
Total: 82.69
Sector: Technology - Networking & Communication Devices
Yield: 3,1%
Payout Ratio: 45%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 5
DGR 3-yr: 60,2%
P/E: 14,8

Buy in USD - W.P. Carey Inc (WPC)
Trade Price: 62.15
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 124.65
Sector: REIT - Diversified
Yield: 6,2%
Payout Ratio: 80%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 18
DGR 3-yr: 19,2%
P/FFO : 13,1

Sale in USD - Kinder Morgan Inc (KMI)
Trade Price: 16.25
Shares: -35
Commission: 0.32
Total: 568.43

Obviously main purpose of all purchases here is to increase January dividend income. Compared to January 2015 three stocks (BMR, CSG, PGH) no longer exist in my portfolio. Additionally Baxter's dividend will be significantly smaller. So there is some patching to do. But I think I have managed fairly well. AGU.TO, AQN.TO, RCI.B.TO and WPC will be new dividend payers for me next month compared to Jan 2015.

And then case Kinder Morgan... before the dividend cut announcement I was pondering that I could possibly live with 50% cut, but that 75% was simply too much for me. So I closed out my position in the company, with a sturdy loss naturally. My brokerage account shows a loss over $500. Good thing here is that I can deduct the loss in taxation.

This sale transaction leaves a gap in my Feb/May/Aug/Nov dividend income. I'm probably adding a new name to my portfolio. I have one company on my mind which has been on my watch list for a long time, and has the same payment schedule as KMI. Cash from this sale will be available on Monday and it looks like I'm on the buy side again!

My Portfolio page has been updated to reflect these trades.

Disclosure: Long AGU.TO, AQN.TO, CSCO, WPC, BAX, RCI.B.TO    

7 comments:

  1. I hate having to close a position, I then have to find a suitable replacement for that income loss. It looks like you have filled some of that lost income after than Baxter situation. I am also keeping my eye on AGU and CSCO. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Captain. In ideal world I would never need to sell any of my stocks. I would just buy more and my dividend income would go up smoothly quarter by quarter. But in the world we are living it just doesn't quite work that way.
      Anyways, I closed out quite a few positions this year. I hope/expect/believe that next year I don't need to make anywhere near this many sales.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Really nice purchases, DL. Ive been eyeing AGU as well - would love to add some if it falls below $10.

    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R2R and thanks. You meant AQN probably? I don't think AGU is going below $10 any time soon:) But AQN surely might.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, yes I meant AQN.

      Delete
  3. I am curious to see how many KMI sells I'll be reading among our DGI community. So far, it looks like most are keeping their KMI shares. Thanks for sharing your recent buys and sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith. I'm curious to see that too. I have noticed a few sales, but like you said most seem to hold on to their positions.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete