Feb 18, 2016

2 Recent Buys - ABT, CSCO

Here comes a couple mini-purchases from first half of February. Looks like market roller coaster is heading back up for a change. I have been chasing some consumer staples, but unfortunately they seem to hold their ground incredibly well in all market conditions. However I was able to add a little bit of technology and healthcare. I have bought more shares to my positions in Abbott Laboratories (ABT) and Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO).

Buy in USD - Abbott Laboratories (ABT)
Trade Price: 36.90
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 74.15
Sector: Healthcare -
Medical Appliances & Equipment
Yield: 2,8%
Payout Ratio: 35%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 2
Annualized Dividend Growth 3-yr: 0%
P/E (ttm): 12,4
S&P Credit Rating: A+


Usually I don't buy more shares this far from ex-dividend date, but I wanted to make sure that I will get at least a little piece at these depressed prices. In the beginning of February the news told that Abbott is buying out point-of-care diagnostics firm Alere (ALR). Can't say that I would be familiar with ALR, but generally speaking I like that my companies grow through acquisitions.

Buy in USD - Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO)
Trade Price: 22.65
Shares: 5
Commission: 0.34
Total: 113.59
Sector: Technology - Networking & Communication Devices

Yield: 4,6%
Payout Ratio: 51%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 5
Annualized Dividend Growth 3-yr: 23,8%
P/E (ttm): 11,2
S&P Credit Rating: AA-


I bought more Cisco before earnings and this time it turned out to be a jackpot. The company beat estimates and declared a massive dividend hike! Quarterly dividend will be increased from $0.21 to $0.26 which equals to 23,8%. Since I started investing in North American stocks in 2014 this is the biggest raise I have received! Can't wait to add this to my April dividend report.

Coca-Cola (KO) just raised dividend by 6,1%. I would like to buy more, but that price just creeps higher and higher! Yes, for me it's difficult to buy in raising stock prices. 

Thanks for reading. My Portfolio page has been updated to reflect these trades.
  
Disclosure: Long ABT, CSCO, KO

4 comments:

  1. Great purchases DL! As a matter of fact, I have bought ABT myself and I really want to buy CSCO for both future growth and great dividend yield. Payout ratio could be lower, but it's nothing to stop me from buying shares in this company with quality products.

    The only problem: I lack fresh capital.. it's a problem we all face now and then I'd imagine..

    Best wishes, DfS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DfS! It's very good to be a fellow shareholder in Abbott, and perhaps some day in Cisco too. I'm rather confident that these are solid long-term investments.
      I know the lack of capital. There are still many stocks on my watch list that I would like to own, but, well... you know the problem:)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think these are both great buys. Would love to add ABT as our exposure to health care sector is not very high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tawcan. Thanks. At least so far I'm very pleased that I added ABT to my portfolio. I have recently initiated a position in another healthcare company, about which I should post soon.
      Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete