Mar 2, 2016

Dividend Income - February 2016

It's time to report February 2016 dividends! In December dark shadow descended upon this month's income, when Kinder Morgan (KMI) announced 75% dividend cut. I didn't stay at the company to collect the reduced dividend, but sold all my shares. In fact last year KMI was my biggest dividend payer in the months of Feb, May, Aug and Nov! In February 2015 I was able to collect $85.15 and KMI's portion was remarkable at $15.75. So, now that dividend is wiped off the table, let's see how I managed to replace it. Here are those 11 companies that paid dividend to me this February:


  • Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - 6.51 
  • AT&T (T) - 15.36
  • Deere & Co (DE) - 7.20
  • General Mills Inc (GIS) - 7.92
  • HCP Inc (HCP) - 17.25
  • Main Street Capital Corp (MAIN) - 5.40
  • Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI) - 17.10
  • Oneok Inc (OKE) - 11.07
  • Procter & Gamble Co (PG) - 10.60
  • Realty Income Corp (O) - 6.35
  • Royal Bank of Canada (RY.TO) - 11.06
      TOTAL $115.82

This means 36% increase from February 2015. Phew! This is a very good result taking into account the KMI collapse. This is my first first dividend from ABT. It kind of replaced KMI in my portfolio. Of course very different sector and yielding much less, but I'm very pleased about this move towards less cyclical portfolio. OHI is the biggest single reason why I was able to reach that 36% improvement. In Feb 2015 no position; now 30 shares and $17.10.

Total dividends in months 1-2 this year: $204.24. This is 46,1% increase from last year. My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. So I'm in good pace, but I expect that April(when big annual Nordic dividends arrive) will send me back a few steps. Here are my dividends in a graph:

Going forward, all these stocks should pay again in May. I'm going to increase my number of shares in ABT, GIS and RY.TO at least. Buying more high yielders OHI, HCP and T would be tempting, but their portion of total dividends is a bit high. Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time RY.TO was paid in CAD and others in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Dividend Income page has been updated to include February dividends.

Disclosure: Long all stocks mentioned except KMI.

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the dividend income, DL. Keep up the great work!

    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R2R, thank you very much! I will continue my work for sure, although perhaps this is too fun to be called "work":)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Lord,

    It's good to see that your portfolio is still moving forward in the right direction. It's really too bad about KMI - their future is likely very good because they're so big but it's probably not a bad idea to jump off that ship as a dividend growth investor.

    -Dividend Monster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monster, yep KMI will be probably a good bet for many investors. But as I try to reduce my overall risk, I felt that I don't have a place for it any more.
      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. Hello Lord,

    Nice dividend income, nice year over year growth and happy to see quite a few names in common between our portfolios and of course seeing a Canadian bank too. Keep the passive income growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. It was not a bad YOY growth. I'm happy to see common names between our portfolios too knowing that you have a great defensive portfolio.
      Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. DL

    Great dividend income, keep the snowball rolling.

    Sharon - Divorcedff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Will do that, absolutely.

      Delete
  5. Nice job. We both collected from 4 of the same companies this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IH, so it seems. Not bad at all. Only wish that I would be collecting your kind of numbers:)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete