Apr 2, 2016

Dividend Income - March 2016

Time to summarize Div Lord's March dividends! Last year I collected $106.16. One significant dividend payer is out of the game, since in December I closed out my position in ConocoPhillips (COP). In March 2015 it payed $11.68. Additionally I have sold my shares in Chambers Street Properties (CSG) and Pengrowth Energy (PGH), but I have worked hard to patch the hole left by those sales. In fact compared to last year's March, I now have six new dividend payers: MMM, ADM, EMR, ENB.TO, GILD and NSC. Here are those 18 companies that paid dividend to me this month:


  • 3M Company (MMM) - 4.44
  • Archer-Daniels Midland Co (ADM) - 9.00
  • Avista Corp (AVA) - 9.59
  • Chevron Corp (CVX) - 11.77
  • Emerson Electric Co (EMR) - 9.51
  • Enbridge Inc (ENB.TO) - 9.54
  • Eversource Energy (ES) - 7.56
  • Gilead Sciences Inc (GILD) - 4.73
  • Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - 14.25
  • Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT) - 13.20
  • Main Street Capital Corp (MAIN) - 5.40
  • Norfolk Southern Corp (NSC) - 7.08
  • Old Republic International Corp (ORI) - 7.51
  • Pinnacle West Capital Corp (PNW) - 11.25
  • Realty Income Corp (O) - 6.35
  • Target Corp (TGT) - 5.60
  • Textainer Group Holdings (TGH) - 5.28
  • Unilever N.V. (UN) - 8.24
       TOTAL - $150.30

This means 41,6% increase from March 2015. Nice! It was really sweet to break $150 mark. Didn't quite expect that. Biggest payments came from JNJ, LMT, CVX and PNW. Going forward this list may see some changes. I'm not completely happy with CVX and NSC since they have failed to raise dividend. AVA has been a steady utility, but I have some other ideas in utility space and I don't want to increase the sector's weight too much.

Total dividends in months 1-3 this year: $354.54. This is 44,2% increase from last year. My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. So it looks like the pace is still good. But, it looks clear now that next month will be a setback, to say the least. Well, reaching that goal wasn't supposed to be a walk in a park anyways:) Here are my dividends in a graph:
All these companies except TGH should pay again in June, but like I said some changes are likely on the way. I'm going to move Unilever to other brokerage, and increase my position at the same time. I'm looking to buy more MMM and ADM too, at least. Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time ENB.TO was paid in CAD and others in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Dividend Income page has been updated to include March dividends.  

Disclosure: Long MMM, ADM, EMR, ENB.TO, ES, GILD, JNJ, LMT, MAIN, ORI, PNW, O, TGT, TGH, UN, CVX(for now), NSC(for now).

Image courtesy of Suat Eman at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on breaking the $150 mark and over 40% increase from last year, those are great numbers.
    I like that your portfolio is well represented from various industries and i am sure you are on your way to achieving your total dividends received goal for the year. Looking forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DF! Progress has been good this year so far. I definitely try to reach my yearly goal, which will turn harder after April.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff DL! Over $150 for the month and a 40% year over year increase is impressive. I missed the COP payment as well since I closed my position in December too but the bulk of my portfolio continues to churn out rising dividends. 5 of my holdings announced increases during March which is awesome. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PIP! Looks like we walked out of COP about the same time. That's a great number of dividend increases you got in March. April should be pretty good too. I'm looking forward to good news from JNJ, PG and UN.
      Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete
  3. Nice going, DL. Congrats on the dividend income. From the look of the chart - looks like April is your biggest month when it comes to dividend.

    Keep it up!
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R2R, thank you! April is a big month thanks to my Nordic companies which pay annual dividends. This time it's going to be a bit smaller though. I'll get back to that when it's time for April recap.
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. You're right to load up on MMM moving forward. Their company is as steady as they come and it should build you up to continue onward in style. As for your March payments, the key is just to make sure that YOY you see growth and you've done that. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DR, yes I really want to buy more MMM. Too bad that the price has only been going uphill since I initiated position. I'm going to make a small additional purchase before next ex-divy date however.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. What can be said other than congrats on that great year over year increase and knowing that you are headed in the right direction with your passive income growth. Nice to see a handful of companies in common too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keith, thanks. The YoY growth was pretty good. If I'm able to continue this I should be well over $200 next March. That's a right direction for sure.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work. Anytime you can boast of a Y0Y dividend increase of 41% it's something to be proud of. I really like the stocks you've added recently. Keep on pushing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks IH. I can only wish that I had your kind of crazy YOY growth! But yeah, for me these are good numbers. I'm crawling behind slowly but surely:)
      Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete