May 2, 2016

Dividend Income - April 2016

It's time to report dividends again! This will be the first time I report my annual Nordic dividends, so this is going to look a bit different. Last year in April I collected $1,390.07. Compared to last year I currently have one Nordic position less. And Telia arranged a small surprise by moving into semi-annual distributions. Additionally my biggest dividend payer, Fortum, reduced dividend from last year. These events wiped over $200 off the table this April. So, yes, reaching last year's numbers turned out to be impossible, but let's see how I survived. Not all these companies paid dividend in April, but to keep things as straightforward and comparable as possible, I will report these 21 companies: 


  • Agrium Inc (AGU.TO) - 10.21
  • Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN.TO) - 8.66
  • Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO) - 12.96
  • Baxter International Inc (BAX) - 2.31
  • Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) - 10.40
  • Coca-Cola Co (KO) - 8.75
  • General Electric (GE) - 9.20
  • Main Street Capital Corp (MAIN) - 5.40
  • Medtronic plc (MDT) - 2.28
  • Realty Income Corp (O) - 6.37
  • Republic Services Inc (RSG) - 6.60
  • Rogers Communications Inc (RCI.B.TO) - 9.60
  • W.P. Carey Inc (WPC) - 13.64
  • Fortum (FUM1V.HE) - 319.00
  • Metso (MEO1V.HE) - 105.00
  • Nordea (NDA1V.HE) - 198.40
  • Nokia (NOK.HE) - 28.60
  • Sampo (SAMAS.HE) - 236.50
  • Tieto (TIE1V.HE) - 101.25
  • Telia (TELIA1.HE) - 100.80
  • Valmet (VALMT.HE) - 35.00
          TOTAL - $1,230.93

This means 11,4% decrease from April 2015. Ok, after making steady progress from January to March came first setback. I knew that things are going to get more complicated when annual dividends kick in, and that's exactly what happened. One round lost but the battle continues. Here are my dividends in a graph:


Total dividends in months 1-4 this year: $1,585.47. This is 3,1% decrease from last year. My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. Doesn't look very promising right now. But, I should keep in mind that I have another big month coming in October, thanks to Telia's splitted dividend. Hah! Anyways, for a while I thought that I set the goal too low. I definitely do NOT think so any more:)

If I exclude Nordic annual dividends from the picture counting only my North American investments, I will get these kind of numbers. April 2015: $61.39 vs. April 2016: $106.38. Increase of 73,3%. This clearly shows that I'm still making good progress within my active portfolio.

All North American stocks mentioned here should be paying again in July. I'm looking small additional purchases in AGU.TO and AQN.TO at least. Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time AGU.TO, AQN.TO, BNS.TO and RCI.B.TO were paid in CAD. BAX, CSCO, KO, GE, MAIN, MDT, O, RSG and WPC were paid in USD and the rest in EUR. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include April dividends.

Disclosure: Long all stocks mentioned.

Image courtesy of digitalart at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. Even with the decrease, this is a serious monthly dividend income. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly it's pleasant to cash in these big annual dividend checks. Hopefully in the future my quarterly dividend checks will look like these:)
      Thanks for your visit!

      Delete