Jun 18, 2016

Dividend Income - May 2016

All right, I'm a little bit late with May summary. Lot of transactions this month, and I wanted to report them all and get portfolio up to date. But now to dividends.  After April's different kind of dividend report we are back to 'normal'. No big annual dividends, but only quarterly and monthly payments from my North American investments. In fact they are at the center when I'm building my financial future.

Last year in May I was able to collect $103.87. Kinder Morgan (KMI) is haunting me again since last year it was my biggest payer in May. And it no longer exists in my portfolio. Despite that I'm looking for clear improvement over last year. Let's see, here are those 12 companies that paid dividend to me this month:


  • Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - 11.71
  • AT&T (T) - 15.36 
  • Deere & Co (DE) - 7.20
  • General Mills (GIS) - 10.12
  • HCP Inc (HCP) - 17.25
  • Main Street Capital (MAIN) - 5.40
  • Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI) - 18.56
  • ONEOK Inc (OKE) - 11.07
  • Procter & Gamble (PG) - 12.05
  • Realty Income (O) - 6.37
  • Royal Bank of Canada (RY.TO) - 14.58
  • Textainer Group Holdings (TGH) - 5.28
       TOTAL - $134.95

This means 29,9% increase from May 2015. OK! Around 30% increase year-over-year is not bad at all. Biggest payments came from AT&T, HCP, Omega Healthcare Investors and Royal Bank of Canada.

Total dividends in months 1-5 this year: $1,720.42. This is 1,1% decrease from last year. Here we can see the effect of Nordic annual dividends. My foreign dividends are going in right direction, but Nordic ones are not. Here are my dividends in a graph:
My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. Clearly I'm far behind this goal. But I continue to do what I can do best: collect the dividends and make reasonable purchases every month. I believe that at the end of the year total progress looks a whole lot better than right now. 

All these companies should pay dividend again in August. At the moment I'm considering adding more shares of ABT, T, OKE, RY.TO. Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time RY.TO was paid in CAD and others in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include March dividends.

Disclosure: Long all stocks mentioned except KMI

Image courtesy of jesadaphorn at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

  1. Better late than never with these updates. Nice to see you put up a healthy year over year increase too. Dividend cuts are all part of the game. Everyone experiences them at some point. This is why we diversify our holdings as well as diversify our income streams so we don't become too reliant on just a handful of dividend payers for our income. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diversification is important and I think my North American investments are rather well diversified. Then my domestic investments are another story... but importance of those holdings is decreasing all the time, since my new purchases are focusing on foreign companies.
      Thanks for the visit and comment.

      Delete
  2. KMI got me too and is making for some ugly comparisons to last year, but it happens to the best of us. The best thing you can do is invest in multiple companies to diversify your income sources. And with 12 other companies paying you in May it looks like you're doing well on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, KMI got many of us dividend growth investors. We try to avoid those situations, but avoiding them completely is impossible. But recovering is possible, even when the worst happens.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete