Jul 4, 2016

Dividend Income - June 2016

The month of June is in the books now, which means we are halfway through the year. Amazing, but let's see how my dividend income unfolded. Once again the goal was to crush last year's numbers. Those numbers show $119,56 for the June of 2015. There were two relatively high yielding companies Avista (AVA) and ConocoPhillips (COP) bringing in about $20. Those companies no longer exist in my portfolio, so the challenge was to replace that income. 17 companies paid dividend to me this month. Here is the comparison table of June 2015 and 2016 dividends:




CompanySymbolJune 2015June 2016
3M CompanyMMM06,66
Amgen IncAMGN03,00
Archer-Daniels Midland CoADM012,00
Chevron CorpCVX11,7711,77
Emerson Electric CoEMR5,649,51
Enbridge IncENB.TO09,54
Eversource EnergyES6,267,57
Gilead Sciences IncGILD05,64
Johnson & JohnsonJNJ11,2515,20
Lockheed Martin CorpLMT12,0013,20
Main Street Capital CorpMAIN12,6113,65
Norfolk Southern CorpNSC07,08
Old Republic InternationalORI7,409,38
Pinnacle West CapitalPNW10,7111,25
Realty Income CorpO 5,316,37
Target CorpTGT5,207,28
Unilever N.V.UNA.AS3,5110,88
Avista CorpAVA8,250
Chambers Street PropertiesCSG5,530
ConocoPhillipsCOP11,680
Pengrowth Energy CorpPGH2,440
TOTAL
$119,56$159,98

This marks 33,8% increase year over year. Growth over 30% is a good result. Biggest payments came from JNJ, MAIN and LMT. That paycheck from MAIN was exceptional this month since it paid special dividend (like it paid in June 2015 too). So, I could say that I was able to fill the gap left by those stocks no longer in my portfolio. Biggest "gap-filler" was ADM going from zero to $12.00. 

Total dividends during months 1-6 this year: $1,880.40. This is 1,1% increase from last year. Phew! It feels good to be on the positive side again at least. I report all my annual Nordic dividends in April, which means that progress during first half of the year largely depends on those dividends. Here are my dividends in a graph:
My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. Clearly I'm far behind this goal. But I continue to do what I can do best: collect the dividends and make reasonable purchases every month. I believe that at the end of the year total progress looks a whole lot better than right now.

All these companies should pay dividend again in September. At the moment I'm considering adding more shares of AMGN, ES, GILD, ORI, TGT and UNA.AS. Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time ENB.TO was paid in CAD, UNA.AS in EUR and the rest in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include June dividends.

Happy 4th of July to all readers from the States!

Disclosure: Long MMM, AMGN, ADM, EMR, ENB.TO, ES, GILD, JNJ, LMT, MAIN, NSC, ORI, PNW, O, TGT, UNA.AS

Image courtesy of Yongkiet at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

8 comments:

  1. Big growth year over year is always nice. Lots of solid dividend payers on that list.

    Since your outside the states - why did you see a cut in dividends in April? Was it Nordic companies cutting dividends due to oil prices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly a cut because of oil prices, but Nordic dividends typically go up and down from year to year. Secondly I had one Nordic position less this year. And thirdly one company (Telia) changed from annual dividends to semi-annual. So, there were several reasons:)

      Delete
  2. Nice going, DL. Congrats on the dividend income and thanks for sharing.

    Keep it up!
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, R2R. It wasn't a bad month. Onward and upward!

      Delete
  3. First timer on your blog so going to check out why your dividends spike in April but awesome YoY progress! I own many of the same companies as you do which always reassures me I am on the right path :p. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TMB, great that you found my blog. I must check yours too. Progress was good this month. Can't repeat that every month. It's also great to hear that we have many common holdings. You are right, it always gives a reassuring feeling:)

      Delete
  4. Great results and year over year increase as well. Always nice to see more than just a few names in common paying us for the month. ADM has been a relatively new addition to my portfolio. I think it can be more than just a gap filler for you long term. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many DGIs were buying ADM when it was hovering around $35. Looks like a good call. I'm very pleased that I added this company to my portfolio. Still it seems to be one of the less expensive consumer related stocks.
      Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete