Sep 6, 2016

Dividend Income - August 2016

Image courtesy of Sira Anamwong at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Time to summarize dividend income again! Last year in August I managed to collect $153.60. This includes extra dividend of 40€ from one of my Nordic positions: Metso. And you guessed it; this year there was no extra dividend. Additionally KMI's and TGH's high yield dividends are wiped out this year, so as a result it was not possible to reach August 2015 numbers. Still I came rather close with 12 companies paying. Here is the comparison table of August 2015 and 2016 dividends:


CompanySymbolAugust 2015August 2016
Abbott LaboratoriesABT014,31
AT&TT13,1616,32
CVS Health CorporationCVS01,27
Deere & CoDE6,007,20
General Mills IncGIS7,0410,56
HCP IncHCP14,6917,25
Main Street Capital CorpMAIN4,905,40
Omega Healthcare InvestorsOHI10,4520,40
ONEOK IncOKE9,6811,07
Procter & Gamble CoPG7,9512,05
Realty Income CorpO6,086,39
Royal Bank of CanadaRY.TO6,1616,20
Kinder Morgan IncKMI17,150
Textainer Group HoldingsTGH10,340
MetsoMEO1V.HE40,000
TOTAL
$153,60$138,42

This means 10,5% decrease year over year. If I exclude the extra dividend last year, then my total comes down to $114.60, and my dividend income this August increased by 21,8%. This number is rather well in line with my progress this year. ABT and CVS were new dividend payers compared to last year. Biggest payments came from T, HCP, OHI and RY.TO.

Total dividends during months 1-8 this year: $2,131.65. This is 1,1% increase from last year. So, I'm on the positive side, but not too much. Here are my dividends in a graph.
My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. Still far behind, thanks mostly to fluctuations in Nordic dividends. But I continue to do what I can do best: collect the dividends and make reasonable purchases every month. October should be a big month since one of my Nordic investments, Telia, will pay the second half of its yearly dividend.  

All these companies should pay again in November, but I have closed my position in HCP. So, I need to figure out how to patch that hole. One option is to return to HCP after spin-off is completed, but more likely I will open a new position which will pay in middle month of every quarter. I could increase my income quickly by investing more in high yielding OHI, but since it's already my biggest payer I'm not very excited about that option. CVS is one stock I'm definitely going to buy more before November payment ex-dividend date. 

Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time RY.TO was paid in CAD, and the rest in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include August dividends.

Disclosure: Long ABT, T, CVS, DE, GIS, MAIN, OHI, OKE, PG, O, RY.TO, Telia
 

6 comments:

  1. Good work DivLord. A 23% increase in yearly goal is awesome! I love the ambition and striving towards something greater. Keep it up, you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were only about U.S. and Canada dividends, then I would definitely reach 23% increase. But when I add my Nordic investments to the soup then it gets complicated. Moving in right direction though. Thanks for stopping by PID!

      Delete
  2. Nice results despite a KMI misstep. As I always say, cuts happen. It's part of being a dividend growth investor. All you can really do is remain diversified so these cuts don't totally destroy your passive income stream. I went through several cuts too over the years... GE, WFC, IR. It just happens. Stay the course... you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut, I agree. Dividend cut is not the end of the world even though it may seem like it when the announcement strikes. Remain diversified. So, I got $138 from 12 companies. Optimally it would $11.5 from each. In reality that's not going to happen, but strive to that direction at least.
      Thank you for your visit and comment.

      Delete
  3. Cuts suck, but you're doing what you need to do... investing regularly and growing that dividend income stream! Just keep on doing what you're doing. I more than doubled my OHI position yesterday (still need to report it). REITs are flying high because of the new sector thats being created... and many index funds need to realign their portfolios to own the appropriate percentage in REITs.

    Take care!
    FerdiS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Investing regularly and growing dividend income stream is my plan! Wow, that OHI investment is going to pay you big time in November. Such a dividend machine.
      I think REITs deserve a sector of their own, so that's a good thing. Not sure that prices going higher is a good thing though!
      Thanks for visiting and commenting, FerdiS!

      Delete