Oct 2, 2016

Dividend Income - September 2016


Three quarters of 2016 completed, only one more to go. So we are not very far from the moment when it's time to wrap up the full year. But not just yet! Last year in September I managed to collect $124.57.

Looking for an improvement again, but there are some changes in my portfolio that made it a bit tricky. Compared to last year, relatively high yielding stocks Avista (AVA), Chevron (CVX) and ConocoPhillips (COP) are wiped off the table. Then again there are also newcomers in my portfolio; in total 17 companies paid dividend to me this month. Here is the comparison table of September 2015 and 2016 dividends:


CompanySymbolSeptember 2015September 2016
3M CompanyMMM07,77
Amgen IncAMGN08,00
Archer-Daniels Midland CoADM012,00
Canadian UtilitiesCU.TO02,60
Emerson Electric CoEMR7,999,51
Enbridge IncENB.TO5,129,54
Eversource EnergyES6,269,34
Gilead Sciences IncGILD2,156,11
Johnson & JohnsonJNJ12,0016,00
Lockheed Martin CorpLMT12,0013,20
Main Street Capital CorpMAIN5,255,40
Norfolk Southern CorpNSC5,917,08
Old Republic InternationalORI7,409,38
Pinnacle West CapitalPNW10,7111,25
Realty Income CorpO 6,086,45
Target CorpTGT5,6013,80
Unilever N.V.UNA.AS5,2512,80
Avista CorpAVA9,240
Chevron CorpCVX11,770
ConocoPhillipsCOP11,840
TOTAL
$124,57$160,23

All right, so the total this September was $160.23. This means 28,6% increase year over year. Great, every month I try to squeeze 20% increase at least, so this was a good result. Clearly ADM did the heavy lifting going from zero to twelve bucks. Great progress also in Target and Unilever thanks to dividend raises and additional shares bought. Other than these biggest payments came from JNJ, LMT, and PNW.

Total dividends during months 1-9 this year: $2,291.88. This is 2,6% increase from last year. So, I'm on the positive side, but not too much. Here are my dividends in a graph:
My goal this year: $3,200 which is approximately 23% increase from last year's total. Still far behind, thanks mostly to fluctuations in Nordic dividends. But I continue to do what I can do best: collect the dividends and make reasonable purchases every month. October should be a big month since one of my Nordic investments, Telia, will pay the second half of its yearly dividend.

All these companies should pay again in December, and I'm looking to buy additional shares at least in MMM, AMGN, CU.TO, GILD and UNA.AS.

Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time CU.TO and ENB.TO were paid in CAD, UNA.AS in EUR and the rest in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Disclosure: Long MMM, AMGN, ADM, CU.TO, EMR, ENB.TO, ES, GILD, JNJ, LMT, MAIN, NSC, ORI, PNW, O, TGT, UNA.AS

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include September dividends.

P.S. My Blog List gadget is not visible in my blog currently. Google is working on the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Image courtesy of dan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

8 comments:

  1. Way to go DivLord! I am loving your YoY increases. I can't wait to have enough data to track that! :) And keep pressing towards your goal. I'm not sure I will reach mine either but THAT'S OK! It's more about the system and progress anyway. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PID, yeah it's truly interesting and fun to compare your results to last year. You will notice it when you get there:)
      My goal looks absolutely brutal at the moment. But like you said that's OK! Those goals will press us higher anyways.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  2. As long as you are positive relative to last year and continue to put up some good year over year numbers you are headed in the right direction. I'm still considering ORI for my own portfolio. It seems like I had that name on my watch list for the longest time but still have not pulled the trigger. Congrats on a solid Sept. showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it feels good to be on the positive side relative to last year, and after October I should be significantly more so.
      ORI, not quite my core positions, but has been a steady payer. Very slow growth, but the initial yield is nice.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Great increase year-over-year, Dividend Lord! Keep up the good work!

    I cannot imagine how it would be to deal with different currencies in my portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, FerdiS! I wish that I didn't have to deal with different currencies. But living in Europe and investing mainly in Northern America, that's not an option.
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a nice month and year-over-year gain. With 28% gains each and every year, you'll be ready for retirement in no time. Keep it up, look forward to seeing how you finish up the year.

    Best wishes, AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now I just need to repeat, repeat and repeat that 28% growth and soon dollar amounts begin to look nice. I definitely try to finish the year strongly.
      Thanks for your visit, AFFJ!

      Delete