Dec 17, 2016

3 Recent Buys - AQN, GE, MDT

OK, I'm almost done buying in 2016. Perhaps one more additional purchase coming in last days of the year, but here are three mini buys from mid-December. I have added more shares to my existing positions in Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO), General Electric Company (GE) and Medtronic plc (MDT).


Buy in CAD - Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (AQN.TO)
Trade Price: 11.09
Shares: 8
Commission: 1.02
Total: 89.74
Sector: Utilities - Electric/Gas/Water
Yield: 5,1%
Payout Ratio: 134%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 5
Annualized Dividend Growth 3-yr: 8,4%
P/E: 26,4
S&P Credit Rating: BBB

Buy in USD - General Electric Company (GE)
Trade Price: 31.65
Shares: 2
Commission: 0.35
Total: 63.65
Sector: Industrial - Diversified Machinery
Yield: 3,0%
Payout Ratio: 83%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 0
Annualized Dividend Growth 3-yr: 0%
P/E: 27,3
S&P Credit Rating: AA-

Buy in USD - Medtronic plc (MDT)
Trade Price: 73.25
Shares: 1
Commission: 0.35
Total: 73.60
Sector: Healthcare - Medical Appliances & Equipment
Yield: 2,3%
Payout Ratio: 67%
Dividend Increase Streak Years: 39
Annualized Dividend Growth 3-yr: 10,7%
P/E: 24,3
S&P Credit Rating: A

GE is a company you probably haven't seen in purchase reports for a while! Frankly, I can't remember when I saw any DGI buying this one. I haven't been very active on the name either, because GE's dividend was frozen 2015-2016. This December, at last, General announced dividend increase. Quarterly dividend went up from 0.23 to 0.24 or by 4,3%. With this buy I'm kind of celebrating this increase. On the other hand I'm still not too crazy about GE. Valuation looks stretched, to say the least, and I would like to see more reliable dividend growth. On the positive side it's still diversified big player in different industries from healthcare to oil&gas, and credit rating is pleasantly strong. 

Sometimes you don't need to re-invent the wheel, so I just repeated AQN.TO and MDT purchases from early December. Alongside AQN.TO I was also considering Agrium (AGU.TO) and Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO) but their recent surge was too much for me. All these purchases add to my January dividends.

Thanks for reading. My Portfolio page has been updated to reflect these trades.

Disclosure: Long AQN.TO, GE, MDT, AGU.TO, BNS.TO  

4 comments:

  1. I own both AQN and GE. Almost bought some AQN last week, but decided to save my powder for Fortis, which is my other pure play utility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoD, nice to know that we share ownership in GE too. Perhaps you get another chance with AQN. Hard to go wrong with Fortis though.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Good buys
    I've been looking at Aqn for about a month will probably buy some next year sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D&H, there seems to be rising interest towards AQN in DGI community. I hope that share price doesn't climb too much, because I'm also looking to buy again in Feb-Mar.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete