Feb 2, 2017

Dividend Income - January 2017

And so the year of 2017 is well underway. First month is in the books and it's time to sum up dividend income! Looking back to January 2016, it seems like rather quiet month now. I collected only $88.42 back then. Since then only one dividend paying company (Baxalta, BXLT) has left my portfolio. Replacing that income of $1.40 definitely was not a problem. So, I'm glad to announce that I was able to pull together a significant improvement over last year, and that January 2016 was most likely my last sub-$100 month. In total 13 companies paid dividend to me this month. Here is the comparison table of January 2016 and 2017 dividends:



CompanySymbolJanuary 2016January 2017
Agrium IncAGU.TO9,6812,92
Algonquin Power & UtilitiesAQN.TO7,7013,56
Bank of Nova ScotiaBNS.TO10,5114,80
Baxter International IncBAX2,312,60
Cisco Systems IncCSCO7,3512,22
General Electric CoGE9,2010,08
Main Street Capital CorpMAIN5,405,55
Medtronic plcMDT04,73
Realty Income CorpO6,127,08
Republic Services IncRSG6,607,68
Rogers Communications IncRCI.B.TO8,649,60
W.P. Carey IncWPC13,5115,84
Xcel Energy IncXEL010,20
BaxaltaBXLT1,400
TOTAL
$88,42$126,86

All right, so the total this January was $126.86. This means 43,5% increase year over year. Wow, that's a very nice looking growth. Of course the starting point was pretty low. Probably I won't see this kind of growth in the coming months, but I'm enjoying this now.

Great progress with AQN.TO, BNS.TO and CSCO thanks to dividend raises and additional shares bought. And of course MDT and XEL as new investments compared to last year. WPC as a high yield REIT continues to be important income producer too. Here are my dividends in a graph:
I have decided my dividend income goal for this year: $3,300. This is approximately 16% increase to 2016's income. I must say that just a month ago I had bigger numbers on my mind. But the thing is that there are going to be changes at my work, and I have a good chance to become unemployed pretty soon. Now that would naturally affect my ability to deploy new capital to stock markets. This is far from end of the world though. If that unemployment happens, so be it. Financially I should be doing okay. Only thing clearly negative is that my dividend snowball building process will slow down.

All these companies should pay again in April. Before next ex-dividend date I'm looking to buy additional shares at least in AQN.TO, MDT and XEL.

Please note that I don't make any currency conversions here. I report dividends as they appear in their own currency. This time AGU.TO, BNS.TO and RCI.B.TO were paid in CAD and the rest in USD. Additionally all numbers are before taxes. This prevents currency fluctuations and tax hassles from affecting my progress.

Thanks for reading. Dividend Income page has been updated to include January dividends.

Disclosure: Long all stocks that paid dividend in January 2017.

Image courtesy of radnatt at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment